FORENSICS: 2013

Congratulations to our TEAM!  

Thanks for another great year!

PERMISSION SLIPS:

clinton_3.21

GET IN AND SEE MR. THOMPSON AS SOON AS YOU CAN!!!

WHAT IS FORENSICS?

Forensics, in the formal sense of the word, refers to public debates or formal argumentation suitable for a court of law.  For our purposes, Forensics at the middle school level provides an opportunity for students to be involved in various forms of public speaking. Debate, oral interpretation, original oratory, acting, and extemporaneous speaking are included in the competition.  In addition to the enhancement of public speaking skills, students sharpen their research skills, writing skills, and their ability to work in cooperation with others through discussions.  The ultimate intent of Forensic events is to provide students with an opportunity to develop confidence in their ability to communicate ideas and points of view.  Forensics is open to all students in fifth through eighth grade attending Clinton middle school.

Students should try to participate in both of our meets.  Meets usually run tentatively from around 4:00 P.M. to 7:00 P.M., consisting of three one-hour rounds from 4-5:00 P.M., 5-6:00 P.M., and 6-7:00 P.M. Students will perform once during one of these rounds.  Competition for the student is with themselves and each student will receive a ribbon and an evaluation sheet. We will travel as a team by bus to each meet.

Below you will find a list of 11 categories.  Please read over the list and see what you find most interesting.  Make sure to ask ME for help! Finding a “piece” is very important.  Should you already know what category you would like to try, search out as many pieces you can that may work. I have tons of resources and so does our library.  Your teachers are also the perfect resource, too.  So, again, don’t hesitate to ask!

A sign-up sheet per category will be available for all students outside my room.  An announcement will be made reminding students to sign up for their desired category.  As soon as students sign up, they may begin working with me and, of course, working on their own at home.  Parents and guardians are very helpful and should ask to watch their child perform often.  Please note that practice times for each student will vary.  However, students will have the option of signing up to practice with me during most of the following time periods:

• Before school (7:30 to 7:55)

• Period 3 (9:36 to 10:20) Tuesdays and Thursdays

• Lunch/Recess (11:12 to 11:57) Tuesdays and Thursdays

• After School (3:10 to TBD)

Finding a “piece” is very important.  Should you already know what category you would like to try, search out as many pieces you can that may work.  Ask ME for help.  Know the time limit of your category and practice aloud with a stop watch. It makes a huge difference!  I have tons of resources and so does our library.  Your teachers are also the perfect resource, too.  So don’t hesitate to ask.

A general permission slip will follow shortly along with a date for an informal tryout performance.  This performance will be scheduled for the purpose of gauging each student’s readiness and commitment. Brief announcements will be made via this blog.  Please feel free to contact me with any questions.  I’m very excited to get started! I can’t wait to start working with our talented Clinton students!

Categories Include:

DOUBLE CLICK THE FOLLOWING FOR CATEGORY DETAILS:   category_details

Speech

Demonstration Speaking

Four Minute Informative Speech

Prepared Storytelling

Declamation:  Humorous and Serious

Reading

Interpretation of Prose

Interpretation of Poetry

Radio Announcing

Readers’ Theatre

Group Interpretation

Acting

Play Acting

Original Skits